91.0 Thelma & Louise¶
The Avocado team is proud to present another release: Avocado 91.0, AKA “Thelma & Louise”, is now available!
Release documentation: Avocado 91.0
Avocado has switched the default runner, from the implementation most
people currently use (internally simply called
runner), to the
newer architecture and implementation called
Users installing and relying on the latest Avocado release will be impacted by this change and should act accordingly.
To keep using the current (soon to be legacy) runner, you must set
--test-runner=runner command line option (or the equivalent
test_runner configuration option, under section
Known issues are being tracked on our GitHub project page, with the
nrunner tag, and new issue reports are appreciated.
- As per the previous section, the
nrunnertest runner implementation is now the default on every
avocado runcommand (or equivalent Job API scripts). Since the previous release,
- the “fail fast” (
run --failfast) feature.
- the varianter feature.
- UNIX domain sockets as the communication channel with runners (the new default).
sysinforunner, which will allow for sysinfo collection on any supported spawner.
- early notification of missing runners for tasks in the requested suite.
- The assets plugin fetch command (
avocado assets fetch) now supports:
- fetching assets defined in a Python list in
- setting a timeout for the download of assets.
- Improved checks when users attempt to use the varianter and simple
-p) at the same time.
- The Podman spawner (
--nrunner-spawner=podman) will now attempt to use a Container image (
--spawner-podman-image=) that matches the host Linux distribution. If it’s not possible to detect the host distribution, the latest Fedora image will be used.
- The extraction of DEB packages by means of
avocado.utils.software_manager.SoftwareManager.extract_from_package()was fixed and does not depend on
arutility anymore (as it now uses the
--store-logging-streamparameter value was being incorrectly parsed as a list of characters. If a
barvalue is given, it would generate the
r.INFOfile. The fix parses the command line arguments by treating the value as a comma separated list (that becomes a set).
nrunnerwill now properly translate reference names with absolute paths into Python unittest “dotted names”.
avocado.core.tapparser) will not choke on unexpected content, ignoring it according to the standard.
avocado.core.nrunner.Runnablescreated by suites will now contain the full suite configuration.
- If a job contains multiple test suites with the same name, and tests within those suites also have the same name, test results would be overwritten. Now job name uniqueness is enforced and no test results from a suite should be able to overwrite other’s.
- Some occurrences of the incorrect
AVOCADO_TEST_OUTPUT_DIRenvironment variable name were renamed to the proper name (
avocado.utils.network.interfaces.NetworkInterfacecan now access and present information on interfaces that do not have an IP address assigned to them.
avocado.utils.distrocan now detect the distribution on remote machines.
- A new
avocado.utils.armodule was introduced that allows extraction of UNIX
- A new
avocado.utils.sysinfomodule that powers the
sysinfofeature, but is now also accessible to job/test writers.
- Times related to the duration of tasks are now limited to nanosecond precision to improve readability.
avocado.utils.distrowill now correctly return a
avocado.utils.distro.UNKNOWN_DISTROon non UNIX systems, instead of crashing.
avocado.utils.network.hostswon’t consider anymore
bonding_masters, a file that may exist at
/sys/class/net, as the name of an interface.
- Many documentation improvements.
setup.pyscript received many improvements, including:
- A new
- A new
- Various logging related improvements, especially regarding the elimination of Python’s root logger usage.
- Major improvements to the CI, including:
- additional tests for
- most of the “pre-release” test plan was migrated to a CI job
avocado.Test.workdir()is now initialized lazily, which prevents never used work directories from being created and kept in the test results’ directory.
- A circular import condition was fixed related to the Settings plugins initialized during avocado early initialization.
- A rename of the
requirements-dev.txtto better capture the fact that the selftests requirements are a subset of the requirements needed for development.
selftests/safeloader.shnow supports checking a single file.
- Debugging aids were added to the Task/StateMachine/Repo systems of
nrunner. These can be seen by default at the
avocado.core.DEBUGfile in the job’s result directory.
nrunnerbased job its tasks are now better bound by the job ID, with messages being logged in case the status server receives messages destined for another job.
- The very long and detailed temporary directory prefix used on
TestCaseTmpDirwas shortened so that limitations on paths such as socket names are not easily hit.
- Clean up of duplicate methods in the
For more information, please check out the complete Avocado changelog.